NAB establishes bushfire relief grants for customers
National Australia Bank today put in place a range of new bushfire relief packages for customers whose property has been lost or destroyed in the Victorian bushfires. This includes:
- a $10,000 grant for the full loss of home, farm building or business premises that are secured against a mortgage held by NAB.
- a $5,000 grant for the partial loss of home, farm building or business premises that are secured against a mortgage held by NAB.
- waiver of loan establishment fees for customers who plan to rebuild homes, farm buildings or business premises that have been destroyed by bushfires
- waiver of excess for all home, contents and motor insurance claims on policies held through National Homes Insurance (underwritten by Allianz).
“Our customers need our help and support at this difficult time, and we have put a range of assistance measures in place to provide immediate relief”, said NAB Group Chief Executive Officer, Mr Cameron Clyne.
“We encourage our affected customers to contact us so that we can discuss what would be of the most assistance to them at this time”, Mr Clyne said.
Additional assistance measures could include:
- Suspending home loan repayments;
- Waiving fees for home and personal loan applications;
- Credit Card and Personal Loan relief where appropriate;
- Support to restructure existing banking facilities;
- Waiving fees for transaction accounts where appropriate.
- Waiving establishment fees for restructuring business loans; and
- Repayment deferral on business loans where principal payments can be suspended for a period of time.
Affected customers should call 136 NAB (136 622) or visit their local branch to discuss the assistance available.
NAB’s Victoria Bushfire Relief Fund has to date received over $5.1 million in donations from members of the public. Donations can be made at any NAB branch or online via:
BSB 082 001 and Account 860 046 797.
All funds donated through NAB will be forwarded in full to the 2009 Victoria bushfire Fund. The fund has been launched by Premier John Brumby in partnership with the Australian Government and Red Cross. Funds raised will be used to provide assistance to individuals and communities in towns and suburbs affected by the 2009 Victorian bushfires. An independent panel made up of community leaders will oversee the Appeal Funds operation. Red Cross will not deduct any costs from public donations to cover Appeal costs. All interest earned on donations will be invested back into the Appeal. Should the funds raised exceed the amount required to meet these needs, any excess funds will be used to assist in future disasters in Victoria.
The Victorian Bushfire Appeal will close on 17 April 2009. Please be advised that NAB will no longer be collecting funds for the Victorian Bushfire Appeal through any of our channels after this date. Red Cross has asked that anyone who is planning a fundraising event or activity after 17 April should contact Red Cross on 1800 811 700. Anyone who is fundraising through events or other activities already registered will have until 30 June to send the money to Red Cross.
Red Cross and Appeal partners the Victorian and Australian governments thank all those who contributed to the Appeal on behalf of those who were affected. You have enabled survivors to farewell their loved ones with dignity, to find temporary shelter and comfort and to begin the process of rebuilding their homes, communities and their lives.
For further information contact:
T: 03 8641 3627
M: 0412 673 038