Contactless technology takes the hassle out of making small, everyday purchases at participating merchants.
Using contactless technology at the checkout
Whether it’s grabbing a coffee, a quick bite to eat or some last minute groceries, contactless technology is the fastest, more convenient way to pay with your NAB cards.
If you use your NAB Visa payWave, tap and go MasterCard® or American Express Contactless, you don’t need to swipe your card or enter your PIN for purchases under $100.
For purchases over $100, you still need to enter your PIN.
- It’s easy to use: There’s less need to carry cash, which means less time fumbling for change or lining up at an ATM.
- It’s controlled and secure: Your transaction is processed through reliable and secure networks. You’re in control because your card never leaves your hand at the checkout.
- It’s fast and convenient: Contactless payments are up to four times faster than using your card the normal way or paying with cash. If your purchase is under $100, there’s no need to enter your PIN.
How it works
Using contactless technology is easy.
- First, show your card to the merchant.
- Once they enter the amount of your purchase simply follow the prompts on the terminal and hold your card in front of the contactless reader.
- You’ll hear a beep and in a matter of seconds all four green lights will flash.
- Your transaction has been approved. Collect your receipt if you would like one, and you’re on your way.
- We use the highest cryptographic and smart-card technology available: Contactless technology uses the same security that keeps your chip card and PIN protected.
- Our security experts are keeping watch: We monitor your accounts and investigate any high-risk transactions or suspected fraud.
- We stand by our security promise: NAB Defence is our promise to reimburse you 100% of any amount fraudulently removed from your account if you are a victim of fraud. Of course, your responsibilities when operating your account still apply.
- You stay in control of your card: If you use contactless technology there’s no need for your card to ever leave your hand. This greatly reduces the risk of your card details falling into the wrong hands and being use for fraud.
(1) Visa payWave® is a registered trademark of Visa Worldwide Pte Limited.
American Express is a registered trademark of American Express. The NAB American Express® Card is issued by National Australia Bank pursuant to a licence from American Express. Credit cards issued by National Australia Bank Limited.
® MasterCard and the MasterCard brand mark are registered trademarks of MasterCard International Incorporated. PayPass is the trademark of MasterCard International Incorporated.