Why is anti-virus software important?
Anti-virus software is designed to identify and remove malicious software (or ‘malware’) from a computer.
Malware is software that has been created to reduce the security of your computer. Malware can:
- cause your computer to stop working correctly
- perform tasks without you knowing
- allow other people to access your computer - giving them access to your information and online accounts.
We strongly recommend that all computers and devices have up-to-date anti-virus software. You can set your anti-virus to update automatically to protect your device from new threats.
More information about malicious software can be found on our security home page.
IMPORTANT: If you believe your computer is infected with malicious software, call us on 13 22 65 or visit your local branch immediately.
Anti-virus offers for our customers
If you’re a NAB customer, you can take advantage of the below anti-virus offers from three leading providers.
Free anti-virus software for Microsoft Windows users
Windows 10 has built-in protection with Windows Defender Antivirus, opens in new window.
Older versions of Windows
If you’re looking to protect a personal computer running an older version of Windows, like Windows 7, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials, opens in new window for free, real-time, comprehensive malware protection.
In order to best protect your computer from malware, Microsoft recommends keeping your operating system up to date, opens in new window.
McAfee and Webroot six-month free trials
These products from McAfee and Webroot are offered as a six-month free trial. After the trial, there is an option to purchase the software at a discounted rate.
- Secure all your household devices. Protect every PC, Mac, Tablet and smartphone you own.
- Comprehensive mobile security for data loss and theft.
- Password Manager – saves and remembers your online usernames and passwords, so you don’t have to.
- Get a 25% discount on the annual subscription of McAfee® LiveSafe™ – after the 6-month trial period.
- Downloads in seconds and scans in under 2 minutes.
- Extremely lightweight, will not slow down your PC.
- Automatically protects your personal and financial information.
- Fully compatible with other AV software.
For further information about how to protect your computer, please visit basic computer security or the Australian Cyber Security Centre, opens in new window .
Terms and Conditions
Apologies but the Important Information section you are trying to view is not displaying properly at the moment. Please refresh the page or try again later.