It’s understandable to not have the answers if you’re asked about what will happen if you pass away. But if you make important decisions now, you could save your loved ones a lot of heartache when you’re gone.

Get professional legal and financial advice

The right professional advice can take the guesswork out of deciding how to distribute your assets, and help you make crucial decisions about who will have your medical and financial power of attorney.

You may consider finding a legal professional who specialises in wills and estates. You also have the option of consulting someone who can give you financial advice as well, such as a financial planner. If you’d like advice on accounting or tax-related matters, an accountant can help.

Make a will

According to ASIC, around half of all Australians die without a will. If this happens to you, your family may have to apply to the Courts for the authority to administer your estate, sometimes called Letters of Administration.

For most of us, we’ve worked hard to build assets, so you'll want them distributed to those who matter most. Sorting out your estate and making a will now helps to ensure that your wishes are followed when you’re gone. It also reduces the risk of family conflict.

While you can write your will yourself, we recommend you get legal advice, as it can get complicated.

Choose your executor

Think carefully about who you choose to be the executor of your will. When making your decision, it helps if:

  • you’re close to the person and can trust them
  • you've chosen two people to cover yourself if one person isn’t available

You can find more information on the role of an executor from the Public Trustee relevant to your state.

Make sure family and friends are cared for

If you have people who depend on you financially and will continue needing your support, you may want to get both legal and financial advice about whether a trust would be helpful. Whether a trust is a practical option may depend in part on the size of your estate.

There are different types of trusts. If you support someone who is living with a disability, you may want to consider (and get advice about) special disability trusts. You can get some initial information about special disability trusts from the Department of Human Services.

Trusts are complex, so it’s important to seek advice on the pros and cons.

Take out life insurance

Consider taking out life insurance to help your loved ones manage financially, which could include things such as using the insurance funds to reduce or pay out a home loan.



Person(s) chosen in the will to make sure all things noted in the will are distributed as per your family member or friend's request.

Letters of administration

It's a document from the Supreme Court to make sure someone looks after the estate of your family member or friend if they don't leave a valid will.

Important information

The information contained in this article is intended to be of a general nature only. It has been prepared without taking into account any person’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on this information, NAB recommends that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances. NAB recommends that you seek independent legal, financial, and taxation advice before acting on any information in this article.

After more information?Other related articles

Where to begin managing the finances of someone who's passed

It can be really difficult when a family member or friend passes away. If you're a representative of their estate, we've put together this simple, four-step guide.

Helping you finalise a deceased estate

When a loved one passes away, getting through all the paperwork can be tough, but we’ll be here to help guide you through the process of making final arrangements for the estate.

Organising your will and estate

Prepare your finances and plan your estate now to avoid complications when you're gone.

After more information?Related products and services

Life insurance

Thinking about life insurance? At NAB we can protect you with cover for funeral costs, critical injuries and more.

Personal loan insurance

NAB Personal Loan Cover can help meet your loan repayments if you lose your job, are unable to work from injury or illness or diagnosed with a defined critical illness and may pay a lump sum to cover the loan balance if you die.

Helping you with financial hardship

We understand that life can take unexpected turns and leave you in a vulnerable financial position. If you're finding your loan or credit card repayments difficult to make, we may be able to offer assistance when you need it most.

Let's TalkWe're ready to help you

Talk to an expert
NAB Bereavement Support

Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm (AEST/AEDT)
If you're overseas call +61 03 9208 5577