Helpful contacts

We've put together a list of contacts that may help you.

Where to go for emotional support

Coping with grief and trying to get on with the day-to-day challenges can be tough. It may help to get some help and talk with an independent person. The following groups may be able to help you:

Australian Centre of Grief and Bereavement

Australian Centre for Grief and Bereavement is the largest not-for-profit organisation in Australia which can provide you with grief and bereavement education. You can call them on 1300 664 786.

Department of Social Services

If eligible, Department of Social Services can offer you social work services that can provide you with support, counselling and information during this difficult time. You can call them on 13 23 00.

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue is a not-for-profit organisation that can provide you with the tools and support to help you achieve the best possible mental health. You can call them on 1300 22 4636.


Lifeline provides you with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services if you’re experiencing a personal crisis. You can call them on 13 11 14.


LifeWorks is a not-for-profit organisation that can offer you relationship counselling and education services. You can find a local branch on their website or you can call 1300 543 396.

Relationships Australia

Relationships Australia is a relationship support services for individuals, families and communities. You can them on 1300 364 277.

Where to go for practical financial advice

These organisations may be able to help you with planning a funeral and managing your finances.

Australian Funeral Directors Association

Australian Funeral Directors Association is the only national funeral service organisation with offices in every state and territory. They can help you with your funeral arrangements after the death of your family member or friend. You can call them on 03 9859 9966.

Births, deaths and marriages registries

You’ll need to register your family member or friend’s death through Births, deaths and marriages registries. You can also apply for their death certificate, change your name or search your family history.


Centrelink can help you adjust to life after the death of your family member or friend with payments, counselling and financial services. You can call them on 13 23 00.

Australian Taxation Office (ATO)

You’ll need to call Australian Taxation Office (ATO) and give them the name of the executor or administrator as a contact person. You can call them on 13 28 65.

Money Smart

The loss of your family member or friend changes your life and it may be hard to think about money matters. Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) has some useful information in their Money Smart section which can help you through this time by preparing your finances for the future.

National Australia Trustees

National Australia Trustees have years of expertise dealing with the complexities of estate administration and other trustee services.


Need further support?

Here's a list of organisations to contact for more support and advice.

Financial Hardship

We can offer you help if you're experiencing financial difficulty.

Financial advice

If you've inherited money and need help with what to do with it, we can help you.

People also read

We're ready to help you

NAB Bereavement Support

Mon-Fri 8am - 5pm (AEST/AEDT)
If you're overseas call +61 03 9208 5577