A snapshot of this policy
A lump sum payment if you suffer from one of these defined critical conditions:
- Cancer - excluding specified early stage cancers
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart attack - with evidence of severe heart muscle damage
- Major head trauma
- Severe burns
- Stroke - in the brain and of specified severity.
You can apply for cover between $20,000 and $500,000 to help you financially while recovering.
Along with this, you’ll also get access to Best Doctors, opens in new window, a service which connects you with a network of over 50,000 leading medical specialists from around the world. It offers a second opinion when you need it most, helping you get the right diagnosis and treatment plan.
- You’ll need to survive the critical conditions for 14 days to receive the benefit
- Each condition must meet the defined severity for the benefit to be paid.
Benefits won’t be paid for any claim arising from:
- A pre-existing condition
- Attempted suicide, intentional self-inflicted injury or illness
- Being under the influence of alcohol, or drugs unless taken under the direction of a doctor
- Involvement in criminal activity
- For major head trauma and severe burns – war, participating in dangerous pursuits such as rock-climbing and mountaineering, flying other than as a commercial passenger and working underground or with explosives or at heights greater than 10 meters.
- For heart attack, stroke and cancer – if the condition first appeared or was diagnosed within 90 days of the start of your policy
- For coronary artery bypass surgery – if the underlying condition that required this surgery first appeared or was diagnosed within the 90 days of the start of your policy.
This snapshot is a guide only. Make sure you read the NAB Essentials Product Disclosure Statement (PDF, 387KB) for details of exclusions, limitations, eligibility, fees and charges and how benefits are calculated and paid. Please also read the NAB Financial Services Guide.
Frequently asked questions
Your premium is calculated based on your gender, smoking status, age and the amount of insurance you choose.
You can pay monthly or fortnightly by credit card or direct debit.
If you're experiencing trouble with your premiums - for example, if you’ve missed one - please call us on 1300 411 535 between 8:30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (AEST/AEDT) and we'll work something out.
For NAB Essential Critical Illness means any illness or injury that first occurred, appeared or is diagnosed before the start, increase (for the increased amount) or reinstatement of your policy, or for which you have experienced symptoms or received medical treatment leading to a diagnosis after the start of your policy, increase or reinstatement and while this cover is in force. This doesn’t include any illness or injury you weren’t aware of, or couldn’t have been reasonably expected to be aware of, or a condition which we asked you about at the time you applied for, increased or reinstated the insurance and, after a full and accurate response, we issued the policy or the increase, or reinstated your policy.
We're always trying to improve our customers' experience, but we know things don't always go the way they should. See how you can raise an issue with us, how it will be resolved and what to do if you're still not satisfied.
Other insurance to consider
Terms and Conditions
Apologies but the Important Information section you are trying to view is not displaying properly at the moment. Please refresh the page or try again later.
MLC Limited (MLCL) ABN 90 000 000 402, AFSL 230694 is the insurer and issuer of this insurance which has been branded and distributed by National Australia Bank Limited ABN 12 004 044 937 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 230686 (NAB).
This insurance is not a deposit with, a liability of, or guaranteed by NAB. MLC Limited uses the MLC brand under licence. MLC Limited is part of the Nippon Life Insurance Group and not a part of the NAB Group of Companies. MLC Limited may pay benefits to NAB and its related bodies corporate for the distribution of this product.
Any financial advice is general only and has not been prepared having regard to your personal circumstances. You should consider your personal circumstances before acting on any advice. You should consider the NAB Essentials Product Disclosure Statement (PDF, 387KB), opens in new window or call 1300 411 535 before deciding whether to continue to hold the product. If you’d like more comprehensive and individually tailored insurance, speak to a financial adviser on 1300 558 863.
Your access to the Best Doctors service is arranged by MLC Limited. For terms and conditions that apply to the service go to mlcinsurance.com.au, opens in new window.
Target Market Determinations for these products are available at nab.com.au/TMD.