We measure the value we’re returning to the community so we can make the most of our investment.
In the second decade of the 21st century, we invested in capacity building to grow the market in partnership with Impact Investing Australia (Growth grant), Philanthropy Australia (Discovery grant), The Difference Incubator (Two Feet Accelerator program).
Sustainable Impact is how NAB is supporting the development of the impact investment market.
Why is this important?
We’re committed to helping fund a brighter future and supporting communities that need it the most because we believe the future of Australia depends on thriving communities and a healthy environment.
Understanding impact investing
Impact investment means making or creating investment that offer both financial return and have a positive social and/or environmental impact. It’s about finding opportunities for great financial performance that also create real social and/or environmental good, we’re strong supporters of both.
What we do
Pioneering in climate change finance
We work with businesses that are committed to clean energy, creating the financing solutions you need for innovative renewable energy projects.
- Pioneering capital markets solutions as Australia’s leading green, social and sustainable bond arranger.
- Creating new ways to invest including the NAB Low Carbon Shared Portfolio, enabling investors to co-invest alongside NAB to fund existing renewable energy projects in Australia.
- Leading by example as the first bank in the world to issue a Climate Bond Standards certified green bond; the first Australian bank to issue benchmark green bonds in both the EUR and USD markets; the first Australian green residential mortgage-backed security (RMBS) transaction and the first Climate Bond Standards certified consumer green term deposit for UBank.
Here's how we support the ecosystem
NAB A$300m green bond
We were the first bank to issue a Climate Bond certified Green Bond globally and first Australian domestic green bond issuer.
NSW Treasury Corporation
We were joint bookrunners and lead manager on the first Australian Semi-Government Sustainabilty bond.
We were a Joint Lead Agent for Sydney Airport's two-way coupon variable ESG-linked USPP tranche.
Creating better housing outcomes
We believe affordable and sustainable housing and community development is an important part of Australia’s future. Here’s what we’re doing:
- Participating in the National Housing Finance and Investment Corporation’s (NHFIC) scheme for residential mortgage lenders to offer guarantees under the Australian Government’s new First Home Loan Deposit Scheme.
- Working to end chronic homelessness by supporting Sacred Heart Mission and the Victorian Government’s first social impact bond to support people to find and sustain housing.
- Collaborating to help fund Nightingale developments – a scalable model of housing focused on delivering environmentally, socially and financially sustainable housing.
Driving diversity and inclusion
We’re using capital markets to help fund programs that promote equality for all. Here’s how we’ve innovated:
- Our own innovative products we issued the world’s first social bond promoting workplace gender equality in 2017.
- Partnering with the Queensland Government on a social benefit bond to fund the Life Without Barriers program – to reduce reoffending by young people.
Here’s how we support our community
Housing New Zealand Sustainability Bonds/Wellbeing Bonds
We arranged and worked with Housing New Zealand to establish their Sustainable Financing Framework and bring New Zealand’s first Sustainability bond to market.
Macquarie University Sustainability Bond Program
We were a Joint Lead Manager for both Macquarie University’s 2018 and 2019 sustainability bond issuances.
NSW Treasury Corporation Sustainability Bond
We were the Arranger of the NSW Sustainability Financing Framework and worked with TCorp as JLM to help raise $4.9 billion in green and sustainaility bond issues.
Integrating natural value into business
We’re helping our customers manage environmental risk and working to integrate natural capital considerations in our credit risk assessments. Here’s how we’re helping:
- We’re the only Australian bank to sign the Natural Capital Declaration.
- Working with innovators like the Clean Energy Finance Corporation to fund energy efficient and renewable energy equipment.
- Supporting pioneers like The Nature Conservancy to launch the unique Murray Darling Basin Balanced Water Fund.
Measuring your impact
It’s important to make measurement a key part of your investment process so you can track the social and environmental impact you’re having. Here are a few initiatives:
- We co-authored Impact Measurement: Exploring its Role in Impact Investing with The Difference Incubator and Benefit Capital to highlight nine measurement frameworks, approaches and tools to help measure impact.
- We’re part of the B Corporation Measure What Matters community.
- We’re working with the UNEP FI to drive forward the Principles for Positive Impact and Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) to improve impact measurement and reporting.
- We've provided $4m to Social Enterprise Finance Australia (SEFA) to on-lend to social enterprises.
Supporting the impact investment ecosystem
We’ve worked with a wide range of partners to help build a robust impact investment market, including:
- Impact Investing Australia and The Difference Incubator – creating the Impact Investment Ready Growth Grant fund, offering grants of up to $100,000 to for-purpose organisations to build their business, financial and legal capacity. In 2018, this grant was re-capitalised by the Australian Government through the Department of Social Services Sector Readiness Fund for $7 million
- Impact investment Asia Pacific Summit - to convene the diverse community seeking to build the Australian impact investment market.
- Responsible Investment Association Australasia (RIAA) – part of the Impact Investment Forum to connect and stimulate ecosystem development in Australia and New Zealand
NAB Foundation and grants
We aim to help people and places better prepare for natural disasters and assist in their long-term recovery.
Free events and work spaces
We're helping business and not-for-profit customers with events, work and meeting spaces, and learning opportunities.