Financial difficulty? Call NAB Assist

More about how we can help you with financial hardship.

If you're overseas call +61 3 9322 7000 Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm (AEST/AEDT).

Too many bills? Too much debt?

Assistance is out there. It seems easier to bury your head in the sand but if you get on the front foot to manage your debts you've got a better chance of getting back on your feet. The organisations listed below can assist you.

NAB Assist

We recognise that tough times can happen to anyone so if you’re struggling to keep up with your repayments, call us to discuss your options and see how we can assist you in getting back on track.

To discuss repayment arrangements: 1300 135 323

Experiencing financial difficulty: 1800 701 599

Visit financial hardship for more information.

Utility bills

We all have bills and sometimes there isn’t enough money to go around.

If you’re finding it tough to pay your bills give your utility company a call because they may be able to assist. You can find the phone number to call on your bill or on the utility companies web site.

Electricity, Gas, Water and Telephone providers have programs for customers who are finding it difficult to pay their bills. Also ask if there are any government or other concessions you may be eligible for.

Money Smart

For hints, tips and tools to help you with your money where you need it most whether it’s saving or budgeting to managing your debts. Visit Money Smart for more information.

National Debt Helpline

Financial counselling is a free, confidential service to assist people in financial difficulty. National Debt Helpline have qualified professionals who can provide you with information, support and advocacy to assist you with your financial situation. You can give them a call on 1800 007 007.

Kildonan UnitingCare

Kildonan UnitingCare is an innovative and trusted community service organisation within one of Australia's largest welfare networks, UnitingCare Australia.

National Association of Community Legal Centres (NACLC)

NACLC is an independent not-for-profit community organisation that provides legal and related services to the public, focusing on the disadvantaged and people with special needs. The site is a centralised site where state based community legal centres can be found according to your needs and locality.

Government Business

Search the government business portal to find applicable grants and advisory services for different business fields. Or call on 13 28 46.

Stressed or feeling down

We recognise financial difficulty can be a contributor or consequence of mental health issues. If you or a loved one are struggling from a mental health issue, find help with one of the organisations listed below.

Beyond Blue

Beyond Blue is a not-for-profit organisation that can provide you with the tools and support for recovery, management and resilience.

Mind Health Connect

Mind Health Connect brings together mental health resources and information from leading health focused organisations that may be able to assist you.


Lifeline provides Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24 hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.

Social work - Department of Human Services

If eligible, Social Work Services provide support, counselling and information in difficult times. Visit Department of Human Services to find out more.

Department of Human Services - Social Work Services

If eligible, Social Work Services provide support, counselling and information in difficult times. Visit Department of Human Services to find out more.


RUOK is a not-for-profit organisation that aims to inspire Australians to have regular, meaningful conversations to help anyone who might be struggling with life.


1800RESPECT is the National Sexual Assault Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service. It offers confidential online and telephone counselling, information and referral services which are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. For further support or information please call them on 1800 737 732.

Unexpected event

Have you recently lost your job, been made redundant or separated from your partner? Unexpected situations can occur at any given moment without warning. These events can affect your personal wellbeing and financial position.

Here's a list of government departments that can offer you help.

Department of Human Services

If you've lost your job or income has reduced, the Department of Human Services can deliver social and health-related payments and services.

Fair Work Ombudsman

If you've been made redundant or lost your job and believe you're owed outstanding employee entitlements, speak with the Fair Work Ombudsman to make sure you're getting what you deserve.

Family or domestic violence - Department of Human Services

Family or domestic violence should never be ignored or excused. The Department of Human Services provides a fact sheet with information and assistance available.

Money Smart

Here's a list events where Money Smart can offer helpful information.

Dealing with illness

When you've fallen ill it's hard to know your rights and what steps to take if it's a longer term situation. Money Smart - dealing with illness provides a number of options to go through to assist your situation.

Losing someone close

The loss of a partner or someone close changes your life and it may be hard to think about money matters, but taking steps to help you through this period and prepare you for the future is necessary. Money Smart takes you through the practical steps.

If the person who passed away had accounts or loans with NAB you can contact NAB's Deceased Estate team for assistance with finalising their banking arrangements.

Divorce or separation

For anyone going through a relationship break up is hard, emotional and confusing. You can take some practical steps to make this time easier for you and get ready for your next chapter. Money Smart - divorce or separation can help you on your way.

Unemployment - JobSearch

The Australian Government's JobSearch tool provides services such as education, the New Enterprise Incentive Scheme and the Work Experience Program.


Small Business Mentoring Service (SBMS) [VIC & NSW]

Meet other business owners who can be a mentor to provide advice, expertise and skills in the business field ($80-$100 per session)

Call 1300 816 817 or visit


Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman (ASBFEO)

The Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman provide assistance and dispute resolution for small business owners. They offer a range of direct and online facilities.

Call them on 1300 650 460.

We're ready to help you

NAB Assist

Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm (AEST/AEDT) and Sat: 9am - 1pm (AEST/AEDT)
If you're overseas call +61 3 9322 7000 Mon-Fri 8am - 8pm (AEST/AEDT)

  • No minimum balance or deposit needed.
  • No ATM fees within Australia at NAB ATMs.
  • Fee-free periodic payments to any of our business loans