We’ll do everything we can to make finalising the estate of a family member or friend who's passed as stress free as possible.

Here are the next steps you need to follow.

Gather the required documents

If a will is involved, you'll need:

  • the will itself (or a certified copy)
  • a certified copy of the death certificate.

If no will is involved or it's invalid, you'll need:

  • a certified copy of the death certificate
  • a document that proves you're the next-of-kin. Proof is required for each next-of-kin (e.g. death certificate, marriage certificate or birth certificate).

To finalise the estate, where no application for probate (submitting the will as a valid document in court) or letters of administration are required, you’ll also need to provide the documents listed in the table below.

Estate value less than $50,000

Will involved

Each executor's photo identification (such as a driver licence or passport) If they're not a NAB customer.

No will involved or it's invalid

Each next-of-kin's photo identification (such as a driver licence or passport) if they’re not a NAB customer.

Estate value more than $50,000

Will involved

  1. Grant of probate with the will annexed.
  2. Each executor’s photo identification (such as a driver licence or passport) if they’re not a NAB customer.

No will involved or it's invalid

  1. Letters of administration.
  2. Each administrator's photo identification (such as a driver licence or passport) if they’re not a NAB customer.

Submit forms and documents

  1. Complete a deceased customer notification form (if you haven’t already done so).
  2. You’ll need to provide one of the following documents:
    • copy of the death notice from the newspaper
    • an original or certified copy of the death certificate
    • an original funeral account or invoice
    • an original or certified copy of probate or letters of administration
    • any certificate issued by the public trustee or trustee company authorised to do so.
  3. You’ll need to provide all of the following documents:
    • original or certified copy of the grant of probate
    • original or certified copy of the will or letters of administration if a will isn't available
    • the original funeral invoice if you need the estate to pay for the funeral expenses.

      If signatories are not existing NAB customers, we'll need them to show identification documents. If you need help with this, talk to us.
  4. Complete the following form (signed by all the claimants to the Deceased’s estate):

Deceased customer notification form

Our deceased customer details form lets you tell us when a customer has died. It’s the first step in the process of finalising their affairs with us, and should be submitted by the customer’s next of kin or the estate executor.

We’ll need a certified copy of any one of the following documents:

  • death certificate
  • funeral notice
  • medical certificate confirming date of death
  • a certified copy of your photo ID, such as a driver's licence or passport.

Information on how to provide these documents will be provided after you submit this form. If you don't have these documents, please call us on 1300 911 451 to discuss your options.

Close and payout accounts

Once we receive the relevant documents the following will happen:

  • We'll close all transaction accounts and term deposits.
  • We’ll transfer the funds into the bank account of your choosing, or send them to you as a cheque.

What happens to the bank accounts?

Accounts in your family member or friend's name only

All savings and transaction accounts owned solely by your family member or friend will be frozen until the estate is finalised.

Joint accounts

We'll transfer all accounts in joint names into the name of the surviving joint account holder. This happens as soon as we've seen the original death certificate, or received a certified copy.

Credit cards

If possible, we'll pay any credit card debt from funds available in your family member or friend’s savings and transaction accounts.

It’s important to remember that if you are an additional cardholder, you'll need to apply for a credit card in your own name, as the card will need to be cancelled. To make sure you’re quickly set up for a new card, visit your local NAB branch who can walk you through the steps.

Joint home loans

Let us know if there are plans to sell the property, or if you're waiting to pay the loan with superannuation or insurance. If not, we may be able to transfer the mortgage into the name of the surviving home loan holder.

If you'd like the mortgage transferred into your name, you'll need to apply for a new loan. Please contact the relevant branch and banker to let them know about your situation before you apply. That way, they’ll be able to help you as best they can.

Joint personal loans

If you're the joint account holder, you'll need to continue making payments on this account. Please don’t hesitate to contact NAB Customer Care on 1800 701 599 if you're having difficulty making repayments. Remember, we’re here to help.

Please refer to our Customer Care Kit for further support.

Open an account for the executor

To make sure the executor can access the funds as quickly as possible, it helps to open an ‘estate of the late’ account. Contact us and we'll walk you through what you need to do.

To open the account, you'll need to provide:

  • type of account requested
  • executors’ names
  • executors’ dates of birth
  • address where statements can be sent
  • a certified copy of the will and grant of probate/letters of administration.

If you're the executor and not an existing NAB customer, you'll need to be identified by us at a NAB branch with identification documents before any transactions can be made on the account.

Other things to know about

The grant of probate

A grant of probate allows the executor to manage the estate, including collecting and distributing any funds as requested by the estate.

The executor can apply for this grant through the Supreme Court in their state or territory. Probate is required for estate amounts over $50,000 and all related assets (like sales of property) will need to be factored in to determine the amount.

What happens if there isn't a will

Every situation is different, but if someone passes away without a valid will, the person’s next-of-kin may be able to handle the estate by becoming its administrator.

For estates with assets over $50,000, a letter of administration from the Supreme Court is needed to appoint someone to administer the estate.

How long it takes us to release funds

Once all the documentation has been provided and we've paid any outstanding debt, the balances from the savings and transaction accounts will go to the estate.

The time it takes to release the funds depends on how many accounts your family member or friend held, and how much is in them. If we're waiting on a grant of probate, it could take a little longer.

Unclaimed money

If an old account has been located, or you believe the deceased has unclaimed money, you can search for it on the ASIC website, opens in new window. If you find a NAB account, please print out a copy of the ASIC report and bring it in to your local branch.

Please refer to our Customer Care Kit for further support.

Ways to contact us

Bereavement Support

We're here to help in any way we can. Reach out to our Bereavement Support team and we'll help guide you through your next steps.

  • Call NAB Bereavement Support on 1300 911 451.
  • Send us an email at: NAB.Bereavement.Support@nab.com.au.
  • Visit your nearest branch.
  • Send us a letter including your family member or friend's full name, date of birth, date of death, address and bank details (if known) to the following address:

    NAB Bereavement Support
    GPO Box 2067
    Melbourne Victoria 3001

Additional NAB services

If your loved one had any accounts with the following NAB services, you’ll need to contact them separately to finalise the accounts:

NAB Insurance - 13 22 95

NAB Cash Manager - 1800 036 171

nabtrade - 13 13 80

Customer Care - 1800 701 599

NAB Shareholder Services - 1300 367 647

NAB Business accounts - 13 10 12

NAB Broker (previously Homeside) - 13 22 18



The closest living relative of your family member or friend.


Proving the will is valid, the Supreme Court gives the executor permission to collect your family member or friend's assets and hand out as per the will.

Letters of administration

It's a document from the Supreme Court to make sure someone looks after the estate of your family member or friend if they don't leave a valid will.


Person(s) chosen in the will to make sure all things noted in the will are distributed as per your family member or friend's request.


Person(s) chosen by the Supreme Court when the executor chosen in the will doesn't accept their role or there wasn't a valid will. The administrator deals with the assets (estate) of your family member or friend.

Identification and verification

We need to see a minimum identification documents before opening an account, becoming a signatory to an existing personal or business account.

You'll need to have two of the following forms of identification:

  • valid Australian driver’s licence that shows which state issued your licence
  • an Australian passport that has not been expired for more than two years
  • valid Medicare card with more than two months left to expiry.

Call NAB Bereavement Support on 1300 911 451 from Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm (AEST/AEDT) or visit your nearest NAB Branch. 

Terms and Conditions

The information contained in this article is intended to be of a general nature only. It has been prepared without taking into account any person’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on this information, NAB recommends that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances. NAB recommends that you seek independent legal, financial and taxation advice before acting on any information in this article.