Eligibility requirements

To open a new account, you must be:

  • at least 14 years old 

  • an Australian resident for tax purposes.

Identification requirements

When you apply for a new account, we’ll need to verify your identity. You’ll need to provide at least one form of ID from the following list, however, if possible, please try to provide two forms of ID:

  • a valid Australian driver’s licence that shows which state issued the licence

  • an Australian passport that hasn’t been expired for more than two years

  • a valid Medicare card with more than two months left before it expires.

Under the age of 18

If you’re under the age of 18, or you want to open an account for someone under the age of 18, you can also use a birth certificate as a form of ID, along with one of the other types of ID listed above.

If you’re under the age of 14, a parent or guardian will need to visit a branch with you to open the account. The parent or guardian will also need to bring ID with them.

Joint accounts

If you’re looking to open a NAB joint account online, all account holders will need to have the required forms of ID.

Don’t have any of the required forms of ID?

If you’re Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander and you don't have the required forms of ID listed above, we can help. Call our Indigenous Customer Service line on 1800 966 100Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 7:00pm (AEST/AEDT) or visit a NAB branch for help. There are other forms of ID we can accept.

Indigenous Community Identity Cards

If you don’t have other forms of ID, you can use an Indigenous Community Identity card from the following communities:

  • Larrakia Nation Identity card.
  • Tangentyere Council Identity card.
  • East Arnhem Shire Council Identity card.
  • West Arnhem – Gundjeihmi Aboriginal Corporation Identity card.

The document needs to be certified and emailed from the certifier directly to our Indigenous Customer Service Line at nab.customer.support@nab.com.au.

After the email has been sent, you’ll need to call the Indigenous Customer Service Line on 1800 966 100Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 7:00pm (AEST/AEDT), to follow up.

If you’re the holder of a Community Identity card which is not listed above, please call us for other options. You can also provide feedback via our feedback form online.

Certification requirements

You’ll need to make sure that the person certifying your community identity card meets and follows the certification requirements listed in our certified ID guide (PDF, 157KB), opens in new window.

Identity cards issued by Australian states and territories

Identification cards are issued throughout Australia by the various state or territory governments. They provide proof of age and are an ideal form of photo ID for people who are not old enough to get a driver’s licence or don’t hold a driver licence or passport. 

You can find out more about getting an identification card by looking at the below websites. Select the state or territory where you live.

Identification provided by a referee

If you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person who does not hold the required form of ID or can’t access the required form ID, you can submit a Statement by Referee to verify your identity.

A Statement by Referee form can be requested by making a call to the Indigenous Customer Service Line on 1800 966 100, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 7:00pm (AEST/AEDT). You'll need to provide your current email address or postal address to receive the form.

To complete the form, you will need to have an acceptable referee as well as someone to witness both yourself and the acceptable referee signing the form. The completed form needs to be emailed to nab.customer.support@nab.com.au. After the completed form has been emailed to us, you’ll need to make a call to the Indigenous Customer Service Line on 1800 966 100, Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 7:00pm (AEST/AEDT).

You can use one of the following people from the list as a referee:

  • a person who is an elected member of an Aboriginal Council of the community to which you belong.
  • an elected member of the Local Government body where you live.
  • a registered medical practitioner (includes doctors and registered/clinical nurses).
  • an Officer with, or authorised representative of, or a holder of an Australian financial services licence, having two or more continuous years of service with one or more licensees.
  • a Director of an Aboriginal corporation (CATSI ACT).
  • a licenced legal practitioner.
  • a judge, magistrate, CEO of a federal court, or a court registrar or deputy registrar.
  • a Justice of the Peace.
  • a police officer.
  • an agent of Australia Post, who oversees an office supplying postal services to the public.
  • a person who is a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia, Certified Practising Accountants (CPA) Australia or the Institute of Public Accountants with two or more years of continuous membership.
  • a school principal.
  • a minister of religion.
  • an Officer of a Government department e.g. Centrelink.
  • an Officer of Indigenous welfare organisation.

Ready to apply?

Apply for a NAB Classic Banking account.

Help and support

We’re here to help. We’ve got guides to help you manage your banking.

More helpful resources

Get in touch

Call the Indigenous Customer Service Line

If you need help with your banking, we can help.

Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 7:00pm (AEST/AEDT)

1800 966 100

Visit a NAB branch

Visit your nearest NAB branch to speak to us in person.

Find a NAB branch


Your feedback is valuable. Please share with us your compliments or complaints so we can improve your banking experience.

Provide feedback

Important information