Protect your computer with anti-virus software
Essential protection for your computer
Malicious software (or ‘malware’) is software that has been created to reduce the security of your computer. Malware can cause your computer to stop working correctly, perform tasks without you knowing, or allow other people to access your computer - giving them access to your information and online accounts.
Your computer can become infected with malicious software by:
- Clicking on links or opening attachments in phishing emails
- Visiting websites that are infected with malware
Anti-virus software is designed to identify and remove malware from a computer. In order to be effective, anti-virus software must be kept up-to-date. You can set your anti-virus to update automatically to protect your device from new threats.
You can learn about more about anti-virus software on the Australian Government’s Stay Smart Online website.
Free anti-virus software for Microsoft Windows computers
Windows 10 has built-in protection with Windows Defender Antivirus. This free anti-virus program gives comprehensive, ongoing and real-time protection for your system, files and online activities from viruses, malware, spyware, and other threats.
Older versions of Windows
If you’re looking to protect a personal computer running an older version of Windows, like Windows 7, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free, real-time, comprehensive malware protection that’ll help guard against malicious software.
In order to best protect your computer from malware, Microsoft recommends keeping your operating system up to date. Windows 10 delivers comprehensive, built-in and ongoing security protections– including Windows Defender Antivirus, firewall and more, at no extra cost.
Anti-virus offers for NAB customers
NAB customers can take advantage of a free trial of anti-virus software from two leading providers.
The below products from McAfee and Webroot are offered to NAB customers as a six-month free trial. After the trial, there is an option to purchase the software at a discounted rate.
McAfee® LiveSafe™ from Intel Security
Keep your data and identity protected on every device^ you own with award-winning security from McAfee® LiveSafe™.
Ultimate protection for your data and identity on all household devices.
- Secure all your household devices. Protect every PC, Mac, Tablet and smartphone you own.
- Safeguard against latest viruses and online threats. Keep your identity and devices secure against malware, hackers, phishing, and data loss.
- Comprehensive mobile security for data loss and theft.
- Password Manager – saves and remembers your online usernames and passwords, so you don’t have to.
- Get a 25% discount on the annual subscription of McAfee® LiveSafe™ – after the 6-month trial period.
Webroot anti-virus protects against viruses and online threats specifically designed to steal your personal and online banking information.
Webroot SecureAnywhere AntiVirus is quick and easy to install, and runs in the background to automatically protect you.
- Downloads in seconds.
- Scans in under 2 minutes.
- Extremely lightweight, will not slow down your PC.
- Automatically protects your personal and financial information.
- Fully compatible with other AV software.
* No protection software will completely guarantee against unauthorised access or virus contamination, but it may increase the security of your computer systems.
This special offer for security software isn't an offer or endorsement from NAB. Reference to a vendor's product is intended for explicit description only. Using the link will take you to a website external to our site. NAB does not receive commission from the sale of any software.
IMPORTANT: If you believe your computer is infected with malicious software, call us on 13 22 65 or visit your local branch immediately.