Do you need to cash a foreign currency cheque from an overseas bank? We can help.
There are two ways we can help you cash your cheque:
- Purchase option: We can buy the cheque from you and pay you the cheque amount in Australian dollars, or another currency, less any applicable fees. You can use this option for cheques worth less than AUD $2,000.
- Collection option: We can send the cheque to the bank that issued it and collect the amount on your behalf. We’ll pay the funds, less any applicable fees, into your account once the cheque clears. It usually takes 6-8 weeks for the cheque to clear, depending on the country it was issued from.
If you can’t cash your cheque using these methods, you can send the cheque back to the person who sent it to you and ask them to send you the money by international transfer.
Was your foreign currency cheque dishonoured? This can happen for a number of reasons:
- There wasn’t enough money in the overseas account
- The cheque was part of a scam or was fraudulently altered
- A detail on the cheque was invalid
- The account the cheque was written from is closed
If this happens after we’ve bought a cheque from you, you will be liable for the cost of the dishonoured cheque. This may include:
- The amount we paid you
- Any overseas bank charges
- Our dishonour fee
Foreign exchange rates
For details on the exchange rates we use for foreign currency cheques, see our foreign exchange rates calculator.