You could be covered with complimentary overseas travel insurance when you use your personal NAB Signature, Platinum or Premium debit or credit card on eligible purchases before you leave.
Benefits of overseas travel insurance
If you’re eligible, some personal NAB debit or credit cards, like our NAB Platinum Visa debit card, may include complimentary overseas travel insurance.
To activate your cover, simply spend $500 or more before you travel on pre-paid transport, tours, and/or accommodation. You’ll also need to be 90 years or under before you take off.
You can get cover for travel cancellation, overseas medical expenses, lost luggage or travel documents, and more.
Important things you should know
This is a snapshot only. For the full list of what’s covered and what’s not, and any limits and excesses that apply, please read over the NAB Card Insurance policy information booklet (PDF, 507KB), opens in new window.
Among other things, the policy booklet explains that the benefit limits that apply if you are between the age of 76 and 90 on the date you depart for your trip are different to benefits limits that apply if you are under 76 on the date you depart for your trip.
- Overseas medical and dental expenses
- Cancellation and additional expenses
- Luggage and personal effects
- Extra travel cover including travel delay
- Rental vehicle damage and theft excess
- Accidental death and loss of income
- Personal liability and legal expenses
- Kidnap and ransom
What’s not covered?
Claims arising directly or indirectly because of:
- any existing medical conditions (yours, a relative, or a member of your travelling party)
- the birth of a child (but unless otherwise excluded, a pregnancy related illness is covered up to and including 26 weeks gestation)
- accidental loss or damage to or theft of cash, personal computer screens, property you leave unattended, gold or precious metals
- intentionally or recklessly placing yourself in circumstances, or undertaking activities, which pose a risk to your personal safety (except in an attempt to save a human life).
You, your spouse and any dependent children travelling with you.
Contact our insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance directly
1800 187 025 (toll free)
Open Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm (AEST/AEDT)
+61 7 3305 7499 (reverse charge). Calls from mobiles, public telephones or hotel rooms may attract additional charges
How do I make a claim?
Email our insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance at email@example.com.
Check eligibility or make a claim via the online claims/eligibility portal, opens in new window.
For 24/7 Emergency Assistance
Call +61 7 3305 7499 (reverse charges). Calls from mobiles, public telephones or hotel rooms may attract additional charges.
How it works
1. First up, you’ll need to apply for, or use an existing personal NAB Signature, Platinum or Premium credit or debit card.
2. Spend $500 or more on your card before you take off. Remember that the purchases need to be related to your trip, such as pre-booked airfares or accommodation.
3. Depending on what you buy, you, your spouse and your dependents could be covered with complimentary overseas travel insurance for your upcoming overseas trip.
Case study for travel insurance
Bill loses his luggage
Bill is travelling overseas in Spain with his mate Jean-Sebastian. The bad news? He has lost his luggage at the airport. The good news? He has a NAB Platinum Visa Debit card.
Before he left on his trip, Bill spent more than $500 on his card for pre-booked airfares. This means he qualified for complimentary overseas travel insurance.
Bill has enough cover to get reimbursed to cover the cost of his lost clothing and personal items.
Check out our range of personal NAB Visa Signature, Platinum and Premium cards with complimentary overseas travel insurance.
NAB Credit Cards
Our personal Signature, Platinum and Premium Credit cards can reward you for everyday spending.
NAB Platinum Visa Debit Card
Your everyday card just got an upgrade, with complimentary insurances, including for international travel.
By using your personal NAB Signature, Platinum or Premium credit card, or NAB Platinum Visa Debit card, you can get the benefits of complimentary insurances including including travel insurance.
To be eligible for complimentary international travel insurance, you’ll need to spend at least $500 on pre-paid transport, tours, and/or accommodation on your NAB card before you take off.
To get an understanding of the finer points, make sure you read our NAB Card Insurance Policy Information Booklet (PDF, 507KB), opens in new window. It includes the amount of cover you can get, any exclusions and limits that apply, and what you need to do to help ensure you’re covered.
Compare our credit cards and offers and apply online today.
Other life moments
Related products and services
Visit a NAB branch
Visit your nearest NAB branch to speak to us in person.
Let us help you with your personal banking needs.
Apologies but the Important Information section you are trying to view is not displaying properly at the moment. Please refresh the page or try again later.
The information contained in this article is intended to be of a general nature only. It has been prepared without taking into account any person’s objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on this information, NAB recommends that you consider whether it is appropriate for your circumstances. NAB recommends that you seek independent legal, financial and taxation advice before acting on any information in this article.