How the online application process works
Our step-by-step guide to getting started with your personal loan application.
Step 1. Submit your application
We’ll let you know if you’ve been conditionally approved instantly. We’ll also give you your indicative interest rate and repayment amount.
Step 2. We’ll verify your details
If your loan is conditionally approved, we’ll review and verify the information you’ve provided. If needed, we’ll contact you for further information.
Step 3. Accept your offer
Once we’ve verified your information, we’ll give you the loan documentation setting out your interest rate and other important information.
Keep in mind that the rate shown in the loan documentation is subject to change and may be different on the day of settlement.
If your loan isn’t approved, you’ll be notified by SMS and email.
NAB Personal Loan eligibility
To apply for a personal loan, you must be:
The following Visa categories are not acceptable:
How much could you borrow
Use our borrowing power calculator to work out how much you can afford to borrow, and what your repayments will be based on your income and lifestyle.
It’s important to us that you’re able to comfortably make repayments.
What you need to have ready
Check that you have the following things with you when you do your application.
If you’re an existing customer:
- save time and use your NAB ID to prefill your personal and financial information (this includes debts you have with other financial institutions)
- save your online application part way by clicking Save and continue (you have 30 days to return and complete your application)
- speed up your application by uploading your recent financial documents (such as payslips or bank statements) in the application form.
You can find your NAB ID on the back of your NAB card or in your NAB app under My Details.
To resume your application, make sure you have your NAB ID and mobile phone with you.
We may ask to verify your income. You may not be required to provide any documents as part of the application process. NAB will only ask you for documents if we can’t verify your information.
If you’re a new customer, you’ll need to provide at least one form of ID in the online application form:
- Australian driver’s licence
- Medicare card
- Australian passport
- International passport.
If you prefer to visit a NAB branch to verify your identify, make sure you have the right combination of acceptable documentation.
You may be asked to provide recent financial documents (such as payslips or bank statements) when applying. Learn what documents we need to verify your income. You can speed up your application by having these ready.
Information you need to give us
The information you need to provide us may be different depending if you’re a new or existing customer.
How we assess your application
We look at your creditworthiness and take steps to ensure you’re not given a product that isn’t right for you, and an amount you can’t afford to repay.
We may review information from:
- credit reporting bodies
- your repayment history at NAB, if you already bank with us
- your personal loan application.
Before you apply, consider the following tips to help boost your creditworthiness:
- Build a savings record. Save money regularly to show us you can budget and manage your finances.
- Request the right amount based on your income and overall financial position. Use our personal loan calculators to estimate how much you could borrow.
- Demonstrate reliability by keeping on top of your bills and loan repayments.
- Check your credit report to ensure the information is correct. A low credit rating may affect your chances of being approved for a personal loan.
Other things you can do online
- View your personal loan balance.
- View your next repayment amount and due date.
- Transfer money into your loan account.
- View and access available redraw.
- View your personal loan transaction and repayment history.
- View interest paid for the financial year.
Personal loan calculators
Before you apply, see what you can afford to borrow and repay with our helpful calculators.
Help and support
We have guides and other resources to help you apply for a new personal loan or manage your existing one.
Other ways we can help
Use our help guides, FAQs and other support services to help you manage your banking more easily.
Terms and Conditions
Apologies but the Important Information section you are trying to view is not displaying properly at the moment. Please refresh the page or try again later.