Have you got your passport ready? Do you need a visa for your destination? Are you aware of any travel warnings or important advice about health and vaccinations?
We've got some helpful resources and contacts to help you stay safe and healthy on your trip.
- All people need a valid passport for international travel. Some countries require at least six months remaining on the passport. You should check with the consulates of all the countries you're planning to visit prior to your departure. You may be refused entry if you don’t comply.
- If you need to apply for, or renew an Australian passport, visit Passports Australia for more details. You should allow approximately three weeks to receive a new passport.
- If your passport goes missing, it’s important to report lost or stolen passports as soon as possible.
- If you’re overseas and you need to organise a new passport, contact the nearest Australian diplomatic mission or consulate.
You may need a visa to travel (transit or remain) in a certain country. Check with the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade for information about visa requirements and how to obtain one if needed.
Get country specific travel advice before you travel so you’re aware of the risks and precautions you can take.
- The risk of becoming ill whilst travelling overseas can be reduced by proper preparation. Smartraveller has some helpful information about vaccinations and staying healthy while travelling.
- Make sure you register your travels before you leave so it’s easier for authorities to contact you in the case of an emergency.
- If you need help overseas, Smartraveller can assist you. The Australian Government also provides 24hr consular assistance from overseas. Call +61 2 62613305.