To live and work in Australia, you’ll need a visa. Learn more about how to find the right visa for you and how you can apply for a new bank account before making the move.

Different types of visas

To move to Australia, you’ll need an Australian visa. You can apply for the visa that best suits your needs through the Department of Home Affairs. If you’re unsure which visa you need you can use the Visa Finder tool to help you find the right one.

How to open an account

Once you have an eligible visa, you can set up your bank account before you arrive in Australia to make your move easier. Our application process for a NAB bank account can be done online. You can also consider opening an online NAB iSaver to help with your savings.

Once you’ve applied for your new accounts, you can set up internet banking and the NAB app to view them. You’ll also be able to make deposits. Keep in mind that you won't be able to withdraw any money from your accounts until you arrive in Australia and visit a branch to be identified.

We need to know that you are you! So we'll need to see one of each of the following types of documents:

  • primary photographic form of ID (e.g. passport or driver's licence)
  • non-photographic form (e.g. birth certificate)
  • secondary document (e.g. Medicare card, recent utility bill).

Sponsored employees

Businesses can choose to help employees migrate to Australia through sponsored working visas. The Department of Home Affairs has more information on sponsoring a work visa. An employer can refer you to apply for a bank account, but you’ll still need to apply for this yourself.

Other life moments

Finding a job

Our career tips can help you find a job in Australia.

Tax considerations when moving to Australia

Your guide to tax file numbers and other tax considerations in Australia.

Working while studying in Australia

Helpful information about working and studying in Australia.

NAB iSaver

Access your savings whenever you need them, without affecting your interest rate. View disclaimer 1

Open a bank account from overseas

Moving to Australia? Steps to opening your Australian bank account before you leave.

Internet Banking

Keep track of your finances 24/7. Anytime, anywhere, any device.

We're ready to help you

Talk to an expert
Call us