How to open a bank account online
- You can apply for most accounts online if you’re 16 years or older, and a permanent Australian resident.
- Choose the account you’d like to open. These include transaction accounts and savings accounts.
- You’ll need some ID with you such as a passport, driver’s licence or Medicare card.
- Click apply now. Applications are quick and usually take less than 10 minutes.
If you’re under 16, not a permanent resident, or if you want to open a NAB Retirement account you’ll need to visit us in branch or give us a call on 13 13 12.
- If you’re a new customer and couldn’t upload your ID when you applied, you’ll need to head into a NAB branch to give us those documents.
- If your ID was given successfully when you applied online, your account will be opened in a few days and ready to use after that.
If you haven’t already done so, once you’ve opened your account you can register for NAB Internet Banking and download the NAB app to manage your money 24/7.
How to open multiple accounts
Once you have a NAB account it’s easy to open more using the NAB app or NAB Internet Banking. Opening two or more savings or transactions accounts can help you manage your finances and reach your savings goals.
Find out how to open multiple accounts.
Want to open a joint account online?
You can open a joint account online at NAB if you meet one of the following requirements:
- both applicants are new customers to NAB or
- both applicants are existing NAB customers who hold an existing joint account with NAB.
If you don’t meet these requirements, you can apply at your nearest NAB branch.
Not a NAB customer?
Switching to NAB is easy and we can walk you through it, step by step.
How to open an account from overseas
You can open an everyday bank account online before you arrive.
What you need to open a bank account in Australia:
- your passport number and email address
- your arrival date and the name of the Australian city you’re arriving into
- to arrive in Australia within 12 months of opening the account
- to be at least 16 years of age.
You’ll also be able to add a savings account when you apply.
Are you a student?
With no monthly account keeping fees, the NAB Classic Banking account is a great option for students. Find out more at bank accounts for students.
Looking to open a NAB business account?
We offer a mix of transaction and savings accounts for your business as well as several specialist accounts. Apply for one of our business everyday accounts, or check out our other business accounts.