Sign your card
Why sign when you have a PIN? Shop assistants need your signature if they have to manually process your sale, or if you’re travelling overseas to a location that doesn’t accept PINs.
If you find it challenging to use a PIN on your credit or debit card due to a disability or medical condition, we have 'signature-only' cards.
Signature-only cards let you make purchases in person, using a signature instead of a PIN. If you need a signature-only card, visit your nearest NAB branch.
Make sure your card is ready to use
Activate your card and change your PIN
Already a NAB customer? In most cases you'll receive your card inactive. You should activate your card as soon as you receive it, even if you don’t plan to use it very often.
There’s just one thing to be aware of – you’ll need to be registered for SMS Security before you can activate your card and set your PIN via the NAB app or NAB Internet Banking.
Verify your identity
If you're new to NAB and didn’t complete an identity check when you applied, you'll need to verify yourself.
We'll let you know if you need to visit a NAB branch to complete your ID check. You’ll need to provide Identification documents including one form of primary and one form of secondary ID.
Acceptable identification documentation combinations are as follows:
- one primary photographic identification document (e.g. passport, driver's licence or proof of age card)
- one primary non-photographic identification document (e.g. birth certificate, citizenship certificate, Pension card, Health Care card or Seniors Health card) and one secondary identification document (e.g. utility bill or rates notice).
Set up your online banking
Here are a few of the things you can do with online banking:
- block, unblock and replace lost, stolen or damaged cards
- customise card settings to switch contactless payments, online transactions, ATM cash advances and overseas purchases on and off
- notify us when you're travelling overseas to help us protect your accounts from fraud
- change your card PIN
- set up a direct debit to pay your credit card on time each month
- set up an SMS or email payment reminder using NAB Alerts
- register to get your statements online and view or print them quickly and easily
- add an additional cardholder
- manage and change your credit card credit limit
- request a balance transfer
- update your contact details.
Add your card to your digital wallet
Set up NAB Pay in the NAB app
If you have an Android™ phone and want to make contactless payments with your NAB Visa credit or Visa Debit card, NAB Pay lets you tap and pay on the go so you don’t have to carry your cards everywhere.
For payments $100 or over, you'll need to enter your card's PIN.
Set up Apple Pay in the NAB app
Apple Pay is quick, easy and secure. Pay using your iPhone in store, in selected apps or on participating websites, without reaching for your wallet.
We’ve got many other ways you can make purchases, whether it’s with a wearable device or using your phone. Check out all the ways to pay with your NAB credit card.
Make use of other card features
Add an additional cardholder
Add an additional cardholder like a partner or a family member, at no extra cost, and share all the benefits of your account with them. It’s also another way to maximise your credit card rewards points if you have a rewards credit card.
You can easily set up an additional cardholder when you register and login to NAB Internet Banking or the NAB app.
- Login to the NAB app.
- Open the My cards menu and select your card.
- Select Usage controls and select Add another cardholder.
- Follow the prompts.
NAB Internet Banking
- Login to NAB Internet Banking.
- Open the My cards menu and select your card.
- In the Manage my card section, select Add an additional cardholder.
- Follow the prompts.
The person you nominate to use your account must be over 16 years old. It’s your credit card account and as the primary cardholder you're responsible for all use of the account, including transactions made by the additional cardholder. Remember, you’re responsible for the debt.
Request a balance transfer
If you’re the primary cardholder, you can apply for a balance transfer from another financial institution to your existing NAB credit card at any time in one of the following ways:
- make a request online
- use our NAB app.
Find out more about balance transfers and whether a balance transfer is right for you.
Link your credit card to your cheque or savings accounts
Why carry more than one card at a time? You can use one card to access money from your transaction accounts as well as your credit card account.
Call 13 22 65 and ask us to link your credit card to the other accounts you use to withdraw from an ATM or EFTPOS. Or, login to NAB Internet Banking and select My Cards and ask for help using Live Chat.
Link your rewards program to your card
When you apply for a NAB Rewards credit card you’ll automatically be set up to start earning points as soon as you use your card.
Qantas Frequent Flyer
When you apply for a NAB Qantas credit card, remember to include your rewards program membership number in your application. Then we can link your card(s) to your rewards membership. If you already have a NAB credit card but haven’t told us your rewards membership number, contact us on 13 22 65 and quote 'loyalty' so we can link your card to your rewards program membership.
Read more about how to earn and redeem rewards points.
Use your signature card or platinum card benefits
Make sure you remember to use all the features and benefits of your credit card. For example, our range of signature or platinum cards offer additional benefits like:
- Complimentary card insurances.
- NAB Concierge Service – your own 24 hour, 7 day personal assistant for travel and lifestyle services.
- Visa Premium Access, opens in new window – discover hundreds of deals, discounts and privileges including entertainment benefits.
Get ready to make your payments
Making sure that you pay your credit card on time is important and can save you money in interest and fees. There are many different ways to make a payment to your credit card. You can:
- pay your credit card quickly and easily using Pay Now in the NAB app
- set up a direct debit through the NAB app or NAB Internet Banking from your everyday account
- transfer funds from your everyday NAB account each month using the NAB app, NAB Internet Banking, NAB Telephone Banking or a NAB ATM
- pay at any Australia Post outlet displaying the Bank@Post™ sign. You'll need your credit card and PIN.
Set up reminders and automatic payments
We recommend you either set up an email or SMS payment reminder using NAB Alerts or set up a direct debit through the NAB app or NAB Internet Banking to avoid missing a payment, especially if you’re going on holidays. If you’re setting up direct debit payments, here's a handy list of service providers to make things easier.
Register for online statements
For easy access to your credit card statements, register to get your statements online instead of a paper copy.
Learn how to read your credit card statement.
You're ready to go
Now you're set up and ready to start using your card and enjoying the benefits.
Manage my card has more handy information to help you use your card.
Visit a NAB branch
Visit your nearest NAB branch to speak to us in person.
Let us help you with your personal banking needs.
Apologies but the Important Information section you are trying to view is not displaying properly at the moment. Please refresh the page or try again later.
NAB recommends you consider the Internet Banking terms and conditions document, before making any decisions regarding NAB Internet Banking or the NAB app. NAB Internet Banking and the NAB app are issued by National Australia Bank Limited. The NAB app is compatible with AndroidTM OS 5.1 and above, and iOS 10.3 or later.
Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
iOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the U.S. and other countries and is used under license.